GUEST SPEAKER: There will be a guest speaker from OSSTF district 22, Shannon Smith, President. OSSTF is a labour union representing primarily high school teachers. Together with the elementary school teachers, education workers have waged a long battle to push off changes to public education that would negatively impact students, their parents and society in general. Come to the GMM to hear about the plans of the provincial government to usher in measures to invite private for profit forms of education!
AGENDA: Members are, of course, free to add items on the agenda either by emailing the email@example.com email or directly at the GMM!
- Bargaining Updates for UNIT 1 (Unit 2 settled, and has very recently ratified their collective agreement ).
- ELECTION for BARGAINING COMMITTEE MEMBER UNIT 1 – emergency election
- Election of two members (delegate and alternate) for Canadian Labour Congress Convention 2020 in Vancouver BC, May 4-8. A delegate and an alternate, representatives.
- Elections for the Goodman School of Business Steward position. The outstanding vacancies have been filled in previous GMM’s elections. This one remains to be filled.
- Vote on the Notice of Motion that was given at the December GMM:
We need to elect a member in good standing to fill the position on the bargaining team.
This is an emergency notification (shorter than the 7 days required for regular notifications).
The election will happen at our GMM on January 27th. The general meeting starts at 5 pm in Sankey Chamber.
What does the work of a bargaining team member involve? Here are the highlights:
- commitment to reach a fair collective agreement
- understanding of the working conditions-related concerns of our members
- being inclusive of all our memberships diverse occupational needs
- being able to commit the time that negotiations require – this is not a job!
- learning new ways of seeing things and relations
The position is held until the collective agreement is reached and ratified by both sides.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
See our bylaws Article 12: Negotiations of Collective Agreements for guidance.
ON THE NOTICE TO VOTE ON BYLAW AMENDMENT:
This proposed language amendment to the bylaws was announced last GMM. This GMM we will discuss and vote on it.
8.1.2 Election of Departmental Stewards
(a) Departmental stewards are volunteers that may be appointed by the Chief Steward as they express interest.
(b) The Union encourages self-organization of workers in departments through rank-and-file union activists. It is understood that all members shall be included in any communications in a department.
(c) It shall be responsibility of each elected Departmental Steward to provide their name and contact information for the Chief Steward of their Unit within three (3) calendar days.