CERB for international student members

Our local has inquired with the Member of Parliament for Niagara Centre about eligibility of international student members for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit [CERB]. This is what the MP’s office said:

“As long as they have an active SIN number, their visa allows them to work within Canada, and they meet the other eligibility criteria, they are eligible for CERB.”


By all means, apply (on line or by phone). But the reality shows the benefit accessibility is problematic even with the valid SIN number. The criteria for eligibility can be hardly met, for both domestic and international students, if the conditions remain as they are currently:


The outcome of these initiatives is uncertain, but the more signatures the stronger the demand is!