OPIRG Brock December 2020 Members Newsletter: www.mailchi.mp/c0bbc9b1a40b/opirgbrockdec2020mnewsletter
At the CUPE 4207 GMM on Tuesday November 24, 2020, OPIRG Brock completed their bi-annual presentation for the CUPE 4207 members, and there was a successful vote to extend our funding agreement under the Special Assessment Bylaw. The CUPE 4207 Policy committee will be working in the new year to establish clear policies related to future votes on this matter. Here is a copy of the OPIRG Brock November 2020 GMM Presentation.
2021 Membership Renewal
- You can now complete the 2021 OPIRG Brock Membership Form to renew your memberships for the year ahead
- CUPE 4207 members are immediately approved as OPIRG Brock members, but you DO need to register on the linked form for administrative purposes
- More information about your membership can be found through the:
- OPIRG Brock Membership Details Newsletter
- OPIRG Brock website – Membership section
- CUPE 4207 website
OPIRG Brock Board Vacancies
- Want to become more involved with OPIRG Brock? One way to do this is to become a Board member! No previous experience being on a Board is necessary – just a passion for community activism & building up your skills!
- If you are interested in applying for the OPIRG Brock Board of Directors for 2020-2021 please review and complete the OPIRG Brock 2021 Board Application. Instructions and requirements are listed in the application.
FREE STORE UPDATE!
- After a long awaited hiatus, we finally have some updates about the OPIRG Brock Free Store!
- We are launching #NiagaraFreeStore as a separate IG account starting on January 1st, 2021. With this account, along with our website, we are hoping to help with getting our inventory out into use and providing a range of resources. When we launch this, we will be sending this to you all to share with your various networks.
- We need volunteers! We have restructured our storage locker and are planning a lot of web & COVID-safe events for 2021 and are in need of a volunteer team to help with online aspects, planning, working at the storage locker, and help with events. To volunteer, please complete the OPIRG Brock 2021 Volunteer Form
- Winter donations – If you know people with winter clothes donations, we are recommending people drop them off at Fine Grind Cafe or to Niagara’s Mobile Closet (who are also looking for other items too).
Check out OPIRG Brock’s events, resource recommendations, and community events:
- LGBTQ2S+ Community Integration and Wellbeing Survey
- Community Job Posting: OUTniagara Project Coordinator (Application deadline: Friday, January 1, 2021 at 4:30pm ET)
- OPIRG Brock website main page for an up-to-date list of webinars, online events, petitions, fundraisers, rallies, etc.
- January 20 at 6pm – SAVE THE DATE! for “Engaging Members Amidst COVID” panel collaboration between OPIRG Brock, Niagara District CUPE Council, & CUPE 4207 – open to all union members & community activists! More details coming soon!
Community organizations to check out:
- Black Owned 905 – Online marketplace of Black owned businesses in Niagara
- Open Letter: Full Immigration Status for All – Sign this petition!
- Niagara Tenants Union – group of tenant volunteers and activists who are working together to build tenant power and resistance against skyrocketing rents, gentrification and displacement, and harmful landlords
- Fight for $15 & Fairness Niagara – currently leading the “Make Brock a $15 & Fairness Campus” campaign and looking for volunteers
- Niagara Reproductive Justice – currently looking for volunteers for a Rapid Response Network
- Brock Student Justice Centre – ongoing social justice focused events & campaigns