Our local is looking for member mobilizers! This a short-term, fee-for-service opportunity to strengthen our local in collective bargaining times. Please see more information here.
In the absence of CUPE Ontario annual convention this year, the CUPE Ontario Executive Board has approved a 2020 action plan which is normally discussed, shaped and voted on by delegates at the convention.
“This Plan has been greatly impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic that has shaped our daily lives both at work and at home. It focuses on three themes: relief, recovery, and reimagining. We believe that the actions in this plan move us closer to an Ontario that serves us all, not just the wealthy.
Now through this crisis as always, workers have the collective power to transform society. Let’s make that a reality together.”
We hold general meeting this summer! The July Special GMM is next Wednesday, JULY 22, at 3 p.m.
The agenda for the Special GMM is set and items cannot be added at the meeting as during GMMs. The Special GMM is called by the Executive Committee with this agenda (corrected):
- Allocation of Resources for Strike Mobilization — we will be discussing and voting on the allocation of resources for strike mobilization.
- Bylaw amendments — notification of change to bylaws. This is to be discussed and voted on at the next general members meeting.
- ‘Simply Voting’ — discussion of this (and others?) platform for voting in online meetings.
Reports of Executive Committee members and labour council delegates.
The Policy, Bylaws and Finance Committee proposed amendments to our bylaws. These (and other agenda) are to be discussed and voted on at a Special General Meeting late in July (TBA).
The proposed changes are in the pdf file linked below. The bolded text are the additions, and the crossed through text signifies removal of the text.
According to this policy, hardship requests would be administered and vetted by three Hardship Committee members in confidentiality.
How to access the fund: Fill in this form.
- Bargaining Update for Unit 1 and Unit 3.
- Voting on three items:
- Hardship Policy Proposal Since we have never had a policy on members’ requesting help in times of hardship, we have a proposal authored by the Policy, Bylaws and Finance Committee, that is to be discussed and voted on.
- 2020-2021 Budget. We need to discuss and pass our annual budget.
- Code of Conduct Proposal At the last GMM, a notice to add a Code of Conduct to our bylaws was given. We will be discussing it and voting on it at this SGMM.
The Centre for Pedagogical Information has developed TA workshops and discussion sessions.
- Workshops for Teaching Assistants. The workshops are listed in pdf here and will take place on Tuesdays. Participants need to register for them.
- Drop-in discussions will be taking place weekly every Tuesday from 1pm to 2pm and Friday from 11:30am to 12:30pm and will use Microsoft Teams. Email email@example.com for the meeting link.
Our local has been approached by Fight for $15 & Fairness Niagara to endorse a proposal of the President’s Advisory Committee on Human Rights, Equity, and Decolonization [PACHRED] for improvement of work standards at Brock. The proposal, Make Brock a $15 & Fairness Campus, requests that the university reinstates some of the labour protections that have been revoked by Bill 47 in 2018. … Read more…
According to the Ontario Employment Standards Act the employer must provide a wage statement – payslip – on or before an employee’s pay day. We lose access to Workday when our contract expires, yet there are still two more pay periods after April 30th. The employer provides a solution to payslip access on the Human Resources website: https://brocku.ca/human-resources/payslips-t4s-roes/
The page also informs about the automatic release of ROE to Service Canada. This is important to members who apply for Employment Insurance benefits.
On or about May 3 the employers sent this:
Your appointment with the University has ended. If your regular access to Workday is no longer active, you can obtain limited Workday access for 7 days after your final pay deposit to view/print your final payslip. Follow the instructions in the job aid found at the following link to access your payslip: https://brocku.ca/human-resources/wp-content/uploads/sites/81/HR_PostTerminationAccess.pdf
We have asked the Centre for Pedagogical Innovation [CPI] about online teaching support for our members.